About Cleveland Quarries
Since 1868, Cleveland Quarries has followed the time honored tradition of quarrying and fabricating sandstone from the Amherst and Birmingham, Ohio area. Spanning an area of 1000 acres and containing over 300 million cubic feet of deposits, these quarries are both the oldest and largest in existence. Vast and awe inspiring, the area was formed billions of years ago during the Lower Carboniferous Period, and Evolutionary Era when continents were shaped and rock materials such as Silica, Magnesia and Lime were carried and deposited by the action of waves. Pure deposits of these substances formed in sheets as layer upon layer was cemented and hardened by pressure and chemical agents. In some areas these deposits were uniform and as man discovered these regions their potential was realized and quarries and mines were created. In the Amherst, Ohio area one such formation, the 'Berea,' spans an irregular belt which has become the "Sandstone Center of the World." Throughout a century, this natural wonder has produced a total of 500 million cubic feet of quality sandstone.
New uses are constantly being developed for sandstone because of its durability and strength. These include the renovation and restoration of existing structures, the building of prestigious residential projects and the production of standard landscape items such as patio stones, wall stones and split face ashlar.
From raw block to masonry unit, Cleveland Quarries has two on-site plants which process Berea Sandstone using some of the most current sawing and splitting techniques available. With the abundant shop resources, sandstone blocks of up to 16 tons are transformed into workable slabs. Split face material for retaining walls, caps, steps and ashlar is split to size by a series of huge, quick recovery Hydrasplitters™. Berea Sandstone is squared, shaped, finished and carved to detailed specifications by skilled craftsmen and diamond technology.